When working on a new blog topic, I’ve increasingly been finding my self thinking “this doesn’t really belong here” or “I don’t really have a place for this”. As a result of this, I’ve been working on a new architecture (for want of a better word) for my blogs. The initial outcome of this change in direction is that this blog (Café Birkenreis) will be split into two blogs, each with its own focus.
Cafe Birkenreis will be residing here for now:
http://cafebirkenreis.blogspot.com/
But will eventually move here (once all the DNS changes have propagated):
http://blog.cafebirkenreis.com/
It will continue to focus on issues relating to Jewish pluralism, progressive Judaism (in the broader sense), outreach, inter-faith relationships and Patrilineal (or equilineal) descent.
J-Blogosphere will initially be located here:
http://j-blogosphere.blogspot.com/
And eventually here:
http://blog.j-blogosphere.info/
J-Blogosphere will deal with my technical challenges with blogging and the technology side of running a small office/home office (SOHO). It wasn’t my first choice in a name (my preference would have been Blognote or Technote), but once again all the good names were taken…
Existing posts have been migrated to one or another of these blogs, and Café Birkenreis in its present form will eventually be taken down.
Altneuland remains unaffected by these changes.
I’m still sticking with Blogger/Blogspot for now, partly because it’s what I’m now familiar with and I’ve grown to like it, partly because Wordpress.com doesn’t allow adverts at this time. I did think about paying for hosting under the Wordpress.org banner, but that’s not yet a financial proposition (although with what I’ve spent on domain names the last year, I could probably have covered it!).
What I will probably be doing - just to gain some exposure to Wordpress – is to set up a not for profit blog on that platform; basically a catchall for everything not covered by one of my Blogger blogs. Further details in due course. It will fly under the name PlantMoreTrees.
To give credit where credit is due, Blogger now makes it incredibly easy to set up a separate (custom) domain for your new blog (at $10 per annum), and throws in Google Apps for free. They also make it very easy for your to migrate your existing content (posts and comments) to another blog (or blog platform), or to backup your content. More regarding that in a future post.
(This is a reworking of the original post, which was trashed when I experimented with the Blogger in draft editor. That in turn resulted in my entire template being trashed, with the sidebar appearing below the final post on the page!)




